[IDV #BWA-292495]: Dorade data plotting peculiarity

Hi Doug-

> Full Name: Doug Kennedy
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Package Version: 2.4
> Operating System: Windows XP
> Hardware:
> Description of problem: When plotting some SMART-R data in DORADE format IDV,
> Conrad Ziegler and I noticed that the gates in each radial don't seem to be
> plotted on a perfect circle.  The sweep seems to be broken into triangular
> segments (see attached image.)
>
> Is there any way to make IDV plot these radar images more smoothly?  The
> segmentation isn't readily apparent when viewing the entire sweep, but
> becomes visible when zooming into the scale (40-50 km) that Conrad is
> interested in.
>
> I have also included the DORADE sweep file for your reference.  I would
> appreciate any insight you could provide!

Thanks for pointing this out.  The artifact you are seeing is a result
of the way we create the textures that get displayed.  For efficiency,
each texture ends up being a collection of 10 radials (making up
the wedge).  I've made a change for radar displays that sets the
texture size to 1 which displays each radial as it's own texture.
This will slow down the rendering a little, but give you the desired
effect.  This is an issue with any radar data, but we haven't noticed
it on the Level II data because there is usually missing data at the
outer reaches of the sweeps which ends up being transparent.  I was
able to reproduce this with some Level II velocity data  though.

The fix will be in tonight's nightly build.  Also, we are looking into
some display issues with the DORADE data.  We have not used the
DORADE data much, so let us know if you see inconsistencies between
the IDV and other display programs.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: BWA-292495
Department: Support IDV