[IDV #YSL-786492]: coriolis parameter

Hi Alberto-

> Hi... My name is Alberto Corbí and I'm a PhD Student happily using IDV
> to analyze WRF netCDF output.
>
> I'd like to compose a formula that might finally give surface current
> vectors as a result from U10 and V10 wind data. For that I need to
> compute on every point, the coriolis parameter, amongst others.
>
> I've seen there's a Jython func called "corl(S)"... but I don't quite
> know what to give it as input. I'd like to eventually obtain a color
> map with the coriolis parameter for each latitude...
>
> How can the corl(S) func be used? I haven't found anything neither in
> the mailing lists nor in the forums.

The corl function takes any scalar grid and computes the coriolis
parameter for the latitudes of the domain of the point.  So, you
can pass in the U10 field and it will return a grid of the coriolis
values.

To do this, load in your WRF grid.  Select the Grids->Define a grid diagnostic
formula and the Color Shaded Plan View display then click the
Create Display button.  In the dialog that pops up, type in
corl(s) for the diagnostic and when the data selection widget pops up, select
the U10 field from your WRF data.  I'd use the data subset widget to
select just the first time of the grid.  Unless you have a moving domain,
the resulting values will be the same for each timestep.

That will result in a display of the coriolis values for your grid domain.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: YSL-786492
Department: Support IDV