[IDV #ZUF-543318]: Problem plotting wind barbs

Hi Josh-

> Full Name: Josh
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Operating System: Windows XP
> Hardware: Java: home: C:\Program Files\IDV_2.4\jre version: 1.5.0_11
> j3d:1.3.2 fcs (build12)
> Description of problem: I am attempting to plot surface observations over
> Level II radar data. I have the radar data plotting correctly at this time.
>
> For the surface observations, I have a .csv file with the appropriate
> information (Lat/Long/etc) and I believe my metadata headers are correct.
> The problem is that when I plot "point data plot" from the dashboard in METAR
> form it is only plotting the temperature, pressure, and dewpoint at each
> station.
> My metadata headers must be correct since it is plotting those values. It is
> not at all plotting the wind barbs even though in the layout editor I have
> windbarb selected.
> Am I supposed to do something different to get the wind data to plot?
>
> Attached I have included both my text .csv file as well as a screencapture of
> what my map currently looks like.

For wind barbs, the IDV uses the standard names of U and V or SPEED and
DIR.  In your case, you need to relate aliases of DD and FF to DIR and
SPEED.  You can do this through the Tools->Parameter Alias Editor
menu.  In the editor, click on the System aliases tab and find the
entry for SPEED.  Right click on it and select "Copy to User's Table".
That will pop up the editor.  Add in FF at the bottom of
the list.  Do the same for DIR and add in DD.  Then reload your
display and you should see the wind barbs.  For more info
on the editor, see the section of the users guide:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/IDV/docs/userguide/tools/AliasEditor.html

Alternatively, you can change your metadata headers in your text
file to use SPEED for FF and DIR for DD.

Good luck.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: ZUF-543318
Department: Support IDV