[IDV #AVU-721017]: IDV Initiative

Hi William,
This is Jeff McWhirter  - I was the IDV developer that you guys met last year.

> Please pass on this email to whom it may apply:
>
> [...]

> Here's my question to you.    Knowing what I am trying to do, what if
> anything should I be concerned about, and how do you see UCAR and IDV
> assisting the school district beyond this initial effort?  I know from my
> contacts with my ex-science and operations officer, David Copley, (I am a
> retired Meteorologist in Charge for the National Weather Service) that UCAR
> is reluctant to do any on-site training of IDV, hence my reason for
> initially  "going-it-alone".   But, if I am somewhat successful, and don't
> turn everyone off, IDV might gain legs in the school district, and I would
> think you might want to be aware of this and assist where and when you can.

I think its great that you guys are getting the IDV into the classroom setting.
I think the approach you are taking using the bundles is a good one - less
knowledge required about the data and displays for your users.

As to our future involvement its not a matter of our interest or lack thereof,
rather its a issue of our limited resources (i.e., time) to get involved.
Historically, Unidata supports the University community. We have even
explicitly shied away from involvement with the community college community
because we simply don't have the personnel resources to support such a large
community. That said, we (the IDV team) always try our best to support our
users, no matter where they come from. If the IDV gains usage within your
schools what would be best is for you to be the primary point of contact for
your users. If there are questions/problems/issues that you cannot address then
you can forward them to the IDV support.

> That's it.  Just an FYI from your future NCAR home, and from one person who
> is very.very impressed with the IDV software and sees great potential for
> its use in public schools.  Thanks for creating this software.  It's great.

Thank you. We try our best.

-Jeff

Ticket ID: AVU-721017
Department: Support IDV