[IDV #DPD-202412]: WRF data and vertical cross sections..

Hi Ivan-

> Full Name: Ivan Foere
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Operating System: Windows XP
> Hardware: Java: home: C:\Program Files\IDV_2.4\jre version: 1.5.0_11
> j3d:1.3.2 fcs (build12)
> Description of problem: Creating display: Contour Vertical Cross Section
> org.python.core.PyException
>
> Why cant i plot vertical cross sections and Isentropic potensial vorticitry
> using wrf data?
> With best regards Ivan

If you are using the native staggered WRF netCDF grids, the vertical
dimension is not pressure or height which is needed for the calculation
of isentropic potential vorticity.

The native WRF netCDF files do not contain many of the standard
variables that we commonly use (eg. sea level pressure) and
handling the staggered domains on the dimensionless ETA coordinate
is compuationally and memory intensive.  We recommend using a
post processing program (e.g. WRF-Post) to convert to standard
atmospheric parameters and levels.

Don Murray

> ******************
> Stack trace:
> Traceback (innermost last):
> File "<string>", line 1, in ?
> at
> ucar.unidata.data.grid.DerivedGridFactory.createPressureGridFromDomain(DerivedGridFactory.java:1776)
>
> at
> ucar.unidata.data.grid.DerivedGridFactory.createPotentialTemperature(DerivedGridFactory.java:1504)

> at
>
> at

> visad.VisADException: visad.VisADException: can't create pressure from grid
> domain

Ticket ID: DPD-202412
Department: Support IDV