[IDV #PMI-123940]: IDV - MSG channels 13 and 14

Hi HP-

> Institution: EUMETSAT
> Package Version: 2.4b1 build date:@DATE@
> Operating System: Linux
> Hardware Information: Java: home: /home/user/IDV_2.4b1/jre version: 1.5.0_11
> j3d:1.3.1
> Inquiry: Hi
>
> Sorry to be again prolific in support requests. Here an other one.

Sorry to be so unresponsive on our end.  We were in Oklahoma last
week teaching a workshop and are getting sidetracked left and
right.

> As you might (not) be aware Marianne's MSG server is providing 2 additonal
> channels beyond 1-11 and 12. They are channels 13 and 14. These 2
> channels contain the solar and thermal contribution respectively, of
> channel 4 (3.9micron).
>
> Would it be possible to make them available thorugh localhost? Under McIDAS
> you can access them under these band numbers, but only for archived data.
> Up to now they are only implemented on my local server and not on the ADDE!
>
> My plan is to migrate Marianne's Fortran code (which she actually emulated
> from
> my IDL code ;-)) to Jython this autumn-winter.

I'm not clear on what you are asking.  Here's what I understand you
to say:

1) you get channel's 13 and 14 when you do an IMGLIST in McIDAS on
archived data.
2) when you look at the same datatsets through the IDV, they are not
listed.
3) for realtime data (EUM_AD), these are not listed for the M9
dataset in either McIDAS or IDV

If your local McIDAS system is set up so that the ADDE server and
the McIDAS session are both pointing to the same enviroment (same
executables), you should see the same bands in the IDV that you
see in McIDAS.  Are they sharing the same environment?  Is it
possible that the remote ADDE server is not picking up
Marianne's server, but the default MSG server?

As for the difference between realtime and archived data, is it
possible that the bands are added during the archiving?  Or
are they running a different version of the server that does not
have this calculation in it?

If I'm misunderstanding the situation, please let me know.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: PMI-123940
Department: Support IDV