[IDV #CCK-270723]: IDV - vertical profiles & Skew-T

Hi Guido-

> Institution: cesi ricerca
> Package Version: 2.2b3
> Operating System: win 2000
> Hardware Information: pentium 4
> Inquiry: I'd like to ask you a couple of suggestions about vertical profiles:
>
> - is it possible to plot "vertical profiles" using track data files (like the
> file in attach)?

If you read the file in as an Upsonde/Dropsonde Data Source Type, you
can plot a SkewT from the data.  You cannot use the Vertical Profile
plot with these data at present, but you can create a scatterplot or
Time Series plot from the data.

> -is it possible to plot skew-T from grid netcdf data (such as WRF output)?

If you have the appropriate variables in the file, you should see
some Sounding Data choices in the 3D grid->Derived fields that would
allow you to plot the SkewT.  If it is raw WRF netCDF output, you probably
won't get that option since there is no method at present to calculate the
Dewpoint from the variables in the file.  However, if you post process the
data to GRIB on pressure levels (which we recommend anyway), you should get
some options for plotting the soundings.

> thanks in advance for your attention

Don Murray

Ticket ID: CCK-270723
Department: Support IDV