[IDV #LFS-433255]: IDV - getting started

Hi Tony-

> Institution: monash university
> Package Version: 2.1
> Operating System: Windows XP
> Hardware Information: Java: home: C:\\Program Files\\IDV_2.1\\jre version:
> 1.5.0_06 j3d:1.3.2 fcs (build12)
> Inquiry: Hey
>
> I saw a demonstration of this software not 5 hours ago. I was very very
> impressed.

I'm curious to know  where you saw this.

> I have since installed it - but can not get it to make even a simple contor
> plot of terrain height.
> I am using netcdf wrf-arw output on sigmal levels. The demonstration i saw
> earlier was
> fantasic and worked straight away - i seem to be unable to replicate this.
>
> I attatch a jpg so you may see what the plot looks like. It is supposed to be
> a a color
> shaded plan view. I seem to be missing something pretty important but can not
> find
> much information.

There may be some issues with the sigma level support in the IDV, but
for the simple height plot, it should work.  Could you try downloading
the latest nightly build and see if it works better?  You can
access that at:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/release/nightly

If that doesn't work, is there the possibility of you providing one
of your files via ftp or http so I can look at is?

Don Murray

Ticket ID: LFS-433255
Department: Support IDV