[IDV #ICF-197843]: IDV - Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0"

Hi HP-

> Institution: EUMETSAT
> Package Version: 2.2b3 build date:@DATE@
> Operating System: Windows XP
> Hardware Information: Java: home: C:\\Programme\\IDV_2.2b3\\jre version:
> 1.5.0_06 j3d:1.3.2 fcs (build12)
> Inquiry: Hi
>
> At start-up of IDV (and Hydra, as recently discovered and pushing me to put
> the
> issue to you)  on the Linux platform I get the message
> Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
> Looking in the web I learnt that this has to do my video card (ATI Mobility
> Radeon X1600)
> that has a driver not inlcuded in SUSE due to licensing. In fact I had to
> install it
> outside the standard installation. I remember that this was rather cumbersome
> and most probably not all steps were done in a correct manner.
> Recommendations on
> the web to correct for the missing DRI focus on reloading the ATI driver what
> I am very reluctant to do.
>
> Now the question: Not having DRI is there any impact (performance?)on IDV for
> my main applications, i.e.
> RGB imagery and numeircal fields.

You can comment out the load "dri" in your XFree86Config or xorg.conf
file (dependingon the x server you are using).  Without dri, you
may see slower rendering on large displays and intensive displays
(e.g. volume rendering).

Some more information was posted on the VisAD list a while back which
you can access at:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/support/help/MailArchives/visad-list/msg04815.html

and you might try the solutions listed in that thread.

Don

Ticket ID: ICF-197843
Department: Support IDV