[IDV #SCX-118504]: IDV - IDV performance tuning

> Institution: Millersville University
> Package Version: 2.2b1 build date:2007-02-16 22:12 UTC
> Operating System: Windows XP
> Hardware Information: Java: home: C:\\Program Files\\Java\\jre1.5.0_11
> version: 1.5.0_11 j3d:1.3.2 fcs (build12)

> Inquiry: If starting IDV with Java Web Start, is there a way to consistently
> allot more RAM to IDV.  I have 2 GB of RAM on my machine, and I would like to
> allot at least 1 GB for IDV.  I read the user's guide, but it does not
> instruct how to  "change the runIDV script."  Thanks.

There is ann faq item that describes how to change the runIdv script:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/docs/userguide/Faq.html#faq1_cat3_12
However, if you are running from webstart from LEAD you will need to have them
change the memory setting on their webstart files.

> BTW:  In the user's guide part 7.1 "IDV Scripting" there is a spelling error
> above the first dialog box: "forst" should read "first."

Thanks.

> Also, I would like to know how to start IDV with predefined parameters to
> load.  In other words, regardless of the model output that IDV is loaded
> with, I would like to always display, for instance, MSLP and T at 850 mb with
> predefined color tables and contours.
> I am working with the LEAD Portal, which opens IDV with WRF output.  Instead
> of having to go through all of the settings for 2-m temperature (contour
> interval, color table, units, etc.) each time I view the WRF output, I would
> like IDV to load with predefined settings.

There is what we call the default bundle:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/docs/userguide/Bundles.html
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/docs/workshop/savingstate/DefaultBundle.html

But, the problem is that that bundle holds references to a particular data
source.
You can create a bundle though that does not save the data. When loaded (see,
favorite bundles
here: http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/docs/userguide/Bundles.html)
you will be prompted to select the data.

-Jeff

Ticket ID: SCX-118504
Department: Support IDV