[IDV #JPX-707546]: IDV - caching data

Hi Bill-

> As an after thought, it would be nice if a level could be
> specified similar to times through the dataset properties ?

It's on our list of things to do, but unfortunately, is not
straightforward.  From the DataSource, it's problematic because
not all fields have the same levels.  You could use a vertical
stride to reduce the amount of data that you have to grab.
For these datasets, you could do every 4th point for the vertical and you'd
get 1000, 900, 800, 700, 600, 500, 300, 100, instead of every
25 hPa.   That would save some download time.  You could also
have Mark set up a THREDDS Data server and serve the files up
locally. ;-)

> I tried several contour intervals: proper (60gpm), large and
> small (.01gpm); I tried to use a probe display, but that does
> not work with a 2d field (it said); I tried an image display,
> which failed too.

Hmmm, it worked for me with the default of 40 gpm.

> When I used 2 system formulas, the results looked reasonable,
> so I assumed it could be done. I just wanted to speed up the
> process and avoid my lingering problem that the IDV freezes
> under linux from the lab when data requests exceed some value.
> (Linux in my office (but different network switch) works fine;
> go figure.) BTW, specifying levels really speeds up some
> bundles; factor of ~ 15. Very nice.

We've been unable to figure this problem out, but haven't given
up yet.  Thanks for your patience.

Don

Ticket ID: JPX-707546
Department: Support IDV