[IDV #CFI-155616]: IDV - Meaningful names for McIDAS AREA files

Hi HP-

> Institution: EUMETSAT
> Package Version: 2.2b1
> Operating System: Windows XP
> Hardware Information: Java: home: C:\\Program Files\\IDV_2.2b1\\jre version:
> 1.5.0_06 j3d:1.3.2 fcs (build12)
> Inquiry: Hi
>
> I have discussed at the end of the workshop with Don, but I fear it was never
> docuemented. That is why I raise it again.

It was documented, but just not acted on. ;-)

> When loading McIDAS AREA files they get the generic label "Image data set"
> under Data Sources:
> in the field Selector. when loading a nice number of AREA files this might be
> a bit confusing.
> The AREA files would contain the necessary meta data to label th sources
> explicitely.
>
> Is this something that could find its way into version 2.2?

When you load in data from the Imagery chooser, you select a
particular band so all images in the dataset are alike.  When
you load in data from disk, you could select a mix of images -
even from different satellites.  We also have much less information
than we do in the chooser because the chooser gets band information
from the server.

So, given all that, what would you like to see as a name?

Don

Ticket ID: CFI-155616
Department: Support IDV