[IDV #RGF-974040]: Re: Reading ECMWF grib files

Hi Xavier-

> Thanks for your quick response.

No problem.

Okay.  This came through as address@hidden.

> With 2.1RC2 it does not give an error, but it plots
> the contours as a bunch of inintelligible lines. So some
> progress has been made ;=)

Hey, now that's progress! ;-)  It turns out that this is
a quasi-regular grid which we don't support at the present.

> There are two files, one with pressure levels which seems
> to work OK and the other one with sigma levels (it ends
> in ml for model levels).
> If you have any problems accesing them please let me know.

Thanks for the files.

> A problem I see with model levels is that they will not all be
> at the same height or pressure level so it will not be that easy
> to plot. Or mabye yes with IDV :=)

For netCDF files with sigma levels, you can select the sigma
level and plot the sloping surface.  However, you can't get
to a pressure level. ;-)

> The reason for using model levels is that you
> get "full" vertical resolution which is sometimes necessary
> for some applications (sounding plots). On the other hand,
> using pressure levels you might alway miss some levels
> or need many pressure levels to have enough resolution
> (maybe I am wrong in this).

I understand.  If you could have the model levels on a regular
grid, then we could look at displaying the sigma levels.

Don

Ticket ID: RGF-974040
Department: Support IDV