[IDV #BMU-403022]: IDV - Unable to connect to EUMETSAT ADDE server

Hi Carla-

> Institution: Instituto de Meteorologia
> Package Version: 2.0
> Operating System: windows 2000
> Hardware Information: Intel (R) Pentium (R) 4 CPU 1.7GHz AT/AT COMPATIBLE
> 256MB RAM

First, if you are trying to load in satellite imagery, your system will
not be able to handle it with only 256 Mb of RAM.  The system described
above is below the minimum requirements for running the IDV.  See

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/docs/userguide/Systems.html

> Inquiry: I am a new IDV user. I installed v2.0 on windows and I am able to
> connect to pre-configured ADDE servers, (like cacimbo.ggy.uga.edu for
> instance). I am interested in accessing EUMETSAT ADDE server, for which I
> have received a user name and a password from EUMETSAT. The problem is that I
> enter the EUMETSAT user name 193.17.10.4 in Data Chooser IDV window, but I
> don�t now where to enter the username and password information, and therefore
> I not able to connect! Can you please help? Many thanks in advance. Carla
> Barroso

Unfortunately, it's not so straightforward, but possible.  You'll need
to create an imagedefaults.xml file as explained at:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/docs/userguide/misc/ImageDefaults.html

In your case, yours would look like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<imagedefaults>
  <default
     name="193.17.10.4"
     user=""
     proj=""/>
</imagedefaults>

where you would put your user id and project number between the
quotes in the proper lines.  The user id is case sensitive, so
make sure you put in what EUMETSAT sent you.

Once you create this file using a plain text editor, you would
place it in the .metapps/DefaultIdv subdirectory of your home
directory (ex: /home/carla or c:\Documents And Settings\carla)

Don Murray

Ticket ID: BMU-403022
Department: Support IDV