[IDV #DYF-519566]: IDV - POINT ADDE problems

Hi Valentijn-

> >What happens if you use the Surface Observation chooser and type in
> SRFOBS/METAR in the
> >Data Type widget (replace "Surface (METAR) observations").
>
> I get something like this:

This looks like a firewall issue trying to connect to the
server.  On the machine running the IDV, is port 112 blocked?
Can you access this dataset from McIDAS?

> An error has occurred:
> Error connecting to: adde.itc.nl
> Error opening connection: java.net.SocketException:
> Connection reset
>
> edu.wisc.ssec.mcidas.adde.AddeException: Error opening connection:
> java.net.SocketException: Connection reset
> at
> edu.wisc.ssec.mcidas.adde.AddePointDataReader.<init>(AddePointDataReader
> .java:160)
> at
> ucar.unidata.ui.point.AddePointDataChooser.readTimes(AddePointDataChoose
> r.java:368)
> at
> ucar.unidata.ui.point.AddePointDataChooser.handleUpdate(AddePointDataCho
> oser.java:323)
> at
> ucar.unidata.ui.AddeChooser.handleConnect(AddeChooser.java:356)
> at
> ucar.unidata.ui.AddeChooser.handleConnectFromThread(AddeChooser.java:373
> )
> at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown
> Source)
>

> Is there anyway you could modify the Point/Surface observation Data
> Chooser to allow the user to select the GROUP and DESCR for ADDE Point
> datasets jusrt like you do with ADDE images chooser?

At some point we probably can.  However, unlike imagery, not
all point observations can be accessed through the chooser, so
we can't use the same paradigm where we query a dataset (i.e.
SRFOBS) and get back a list of descriptors.  For now, you
entering in the group/descriptor into the combo box is the
best we have.

For the future, we can look at using the plugin facility so
you could easily add in your own preferences for what shows up.

> I.e., set the URL &group=SRFOBS&descr=METAR& through a macro maybe?

adding that into the box essentially does the same thing.

> Tyn

Don

Ticket ID: DYF-519566
Department: Support IDV