[IDV #DML-647530]: IDV - Error loading data file via URL

Hi Dave-

> Institution: San Francisco State University
> Package Version: 2.0
> Operating System: os.name:Mac OS X; os.arch:i386; os.version:10.4.8;
> Hardware Information: java.vendor:Apple Computer, Inc.;
> java.version:1.5.0_06;
> java.home:/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home;
> j3d.version:1.3.1; j3d.vendor:Apple Computer, Inc.; j3d.renderer:OpenGL;
> Inquiry: An error has occurred:
> There was an error loading the data:
> Server does not support Range requests, code= 200

The HTTP server needs to support HTTP 1.1 or later and be configured to
set the "Content-Length" and "Accept-Ranges: bytes" headers to allow
accessing netCDF files on it.  Of course, this little tidbit is not
currently anywhere in the IDV docs (it's hidden in the netCDF Java
user's guide), but I've updated the Data Formats and Sources page for the next
release to indicate this.

What is the make and model of your web server?

> Circumstances for this error:

> -- URL of file:
> http://funnel.sfsu.edu/data/cases/040828_cstlsurge/GRIB/04082800_gfs_F00.grb
> -- IDV v2.0
> -- iMac (Intel), 1 GB RAM
>
> The file resides on another machine in our local network with a Web server
> running on it.
> I can browse to the file and can see it listed, but I can't load it as a URL.
> I can load the same file
> just fine, however, by navigating to it (it resides on a mounted disk) and

When you are accessing it as a file, you can do the random access that
netCDF uses.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: DML-647530
Department: Support IDV