[IDV #PZK-607862]: IDV - Windows graphics driver will not support 1024 memory

Hi Mike-

Sorry for the delay in responding.  This fell through the cracks.

> Institution: SJSU
> Package Version: 2.0
> Operating System: XP
> Hardware Information: Dell Inspiron with 2 GB RAM
> Inquiry: Hi,
> I edited runIDV.bat and increased my memory to 1024. But When I did this it
> yelled at me with the old "wglGetExtensionsStringARB not support" JAVA 3D
> error.

Changing the memory for Java shouldn't affect the graphics card at all.
Does the problem go away if you set it back to 512m and create the
same display?  Is the complete message:

Java 3D ERROR : wglGetExtensionsStringARB not support !
 - The specified procedure could not be found.

Fallback to use standard ChoosePixelFormat.
Java 3D ERROR : OpenGL 1.2 or better is required (GL_VERSION=1.1)
Exception in thread "J3D-Renderer-1" java.lang.IllegalStateException: GL_VERSION

        at javax.media.j3d.Canvas3D.createNewContext(Native Method)
        at javax.media.j3d.Canvas3D.createNewContext(Canvas3D.java:2429)
        at javax.media.j3d.Renderer.doWork(Renderer.java:747)
        at javax.media.j3d.J3dThread.run(J3dThread.java:250)

?

> My grpahics card is 945 GM express chipset, and I updated the driver to the
> latest in case that was the issue, but nope.

Right click on the desktop and bring up the Properties dialog
for the display and go to the Setting tab.  Click on the
Advanced button.  Do you have an OpenGL tab?  If so, is there
anything that indicates the version of OpenGL that it supports?

> Not a big deal, I just thought I would pass this along in case it reveals
> some limitation, etc.

Updating the driver to the latest version should have fixed this.
I found this page that says that the drivers from Microsoft don't
have OpenGL support (news to me!):

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/intel945gm/sb/CS-021517.htm

Try using the driver linked fro that page.  If that still doesn't
work, try to following:

Use the Help->About menu to bring up the About dialog.  Click on
the System tab and send that info back to us (this is automatic in
the next version).  You can click in the window, press Ctrl-A to
select everything, then Ctrl-C to copy and in your e-mail app,
press Ctrl-V to paste it in.

Don

> Regards,
> -Mike
>
> PS, I'm doing a little IDV show and tell for our department today...should be
> fun!

How'd that go?

Ticket ID: PZK-607862
Department: Support IDV