[IDV #HZA-459071]: IDV - NOAA pathfinder v5 sst data

Hi Joseph-

> Institution: ITC
> Package Version: 2.1b1
> Operating System: os.name:Windows XP; os.arch:x86; os.version:5.1;
> Hardware Information: java.vendor:Sun Microsystems Inc.;
> java.version:1.5.0_06; java.home:C:\\Program Files\\Java\\jre1.5.0_06;
> j3d.version:1.3.2 fcs (build12); j3d.vendor:Sun Microsystems, Inc.;
> j3d.renderer:OpenGL;
> Inquiry: Hello,
>
> I am trying to load SST data fron the URL:
> http://data.nodc.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/nph-dods/pathfinder/Version5.0_interim_NOAA17/Daily/2005/2005002.s04d2pfrt-sst.hdf.html
>
> I having trouble displaying it. Could you please assist? bThanks

The IDV does not handle the names of the variables LAT and LON as
Latitude and Longitude.  Much like your colleagues, you'll need
to pass this through a Jython procedure to get it in the right
form.  The following Jython code will modify the data so it
can be correctly displayed.  From the Edit->Formulas->Jython Library
menu, bring up the Jython Library Editor and paste in the
following:

def makeUrlToRaster(a):
  from visad import *
  from visad import RealTupleType
  from visad import Gridded2DSet
  from ucar.unidata.data.grid import GridUtil

  dom1 = GridUtil.getSpatialDomain(a)
  samples = dom1.getSamples(0)
  sets = dom1.getSets()

  sdomain = Gridded2DSet(RealTupleType.SpatialEarth2DTuple, samples,
                        sets[0].getLength(), sets[1].getLength(),
                        dom1.getCoordinateSystem(),
                        dom1.getSetUnits(),
                        dom1.getSetErrors(), 0, 0)

  image = GridUtil.setSpatialDomain(a,sdomain)
  return image

Then, use the Edit->Formulas->Create Formula dialog to create
a formula to call this procedure.

For the Name, enter a name you want
For the formula, enter makeUrlToRaster(a)

then click OK.

Load in your dataset.  Since this is a very large dataset, I would
suggest using a stride of 10 (e.g., 1:10:4195) for the image (every 10th
pixel), or subset the region of view or you will run into memory
problems when you try to display the image.

Once the image has been added, select the Formula you made in the
Fields portion of the Field Selector and select a Color Shaded Plan View
display, then click Create Display.  From the Field select that
pops up, select your image ((lon, lat) -> (sst)).  You should see
the display in the main window.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: HZA-459071
Department: Support IDV