[Support #HXO-195451]: Use of IDV from Linux cluster

Hi Alison-

> We successfully installed the IDV on a laptop and it worked great!

Glad to hear it.

> However, we run most of our models on our big Linux cluster that does
> not have a 3D graphics card.  So, when we tried to run the IDV on data
> residing on the cluster it did not work.

For the IDV to run, you'll need Java, Java 3D and an X server on the system.
You can run Xvfb for a virtual X server, and use the ISL to render in offscreen
mode, but you'll still need the X server.

> Do you have any suggestions for addressing or working around this problem?

If you can run Xvfb, set it up to run in offscreen mode.

Don

Ticket ID: HXO-195451
Department: Support IDV