[IDV #JTA-316083]: loading II radar data via file tab

Hi Dave-

> Found an interesting effect when loading level II radar files via the
> 'Files' tab.  When loading a level II file (Data Source Type is set to
> Level II Radar Files), no option for putting in the station ID is given,
> and the radar image is thus displayed centered on 0 lat, 0 long.

If you do this, you can then use the Data Source's properties dialog
(double click on the data source in the Field Selector or right click
and select Properties) to change the location.

> I am bringing this up as I had some students here tell me they can't
> load level II data and this is the method they used.  I am also thinking
> of our LEAD teacher-partners and their high school students doing the
> same thing.

Tell them to read the FAQ. ;-)

> Could loading level II stuff via the file tab be added to a future IDV
> release?

We'll be redoing the underpinnings of the Level II reading for the
next release and I will think about that but won't promise anything.

The Level II radar data chooser was created just to get around
this problem.  The files chooser is a generic chooser and doesn't
have the flexibility to handle specific options for datasets.  The
Level II chooser allows you to set the station and (in the latest
version) do automatic updates if you are looking at realtime files.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: JTA-316083
Department: Support IDV