[IDV #HXW-419999]: IDV - New (?) problem reading Level II radar

Hi Tony-

> Institution: CIMSS
> Package Version: 1.3b1
> Operating System: os.name:Linux; os.arch:i386; os.version:2.4.21-27.0.2.EL;
> Hardware Information: java.vendor:Sun Microsystems Inc.;
> java.version:1.4.2_01; java.home:/home/wimmers/IDV_1.3B1/jre;
> j3d.version:1.3.1-beta1; j3d.vendor:Blackdown Java-Linux & Sun Microsystems,
> Inc.; j3d.renderer:OpenGL;
> Inquiry: Hi Don,
>
> (I tried looking for the answer through the archives, but to no avail...)
>
> Here's the process that led to the radar problem:
>
> Clicked "Data" on the menubar
> Selected Radar tab
> Went to local directory "klmb" which holds NCDC radar files (for example,
> "7000KMLB_SDUS52_N0RMLB_200510241029")
> Radar location appeared automatically
> Clicked "Add Source"
> Error window pops up with the message, "An error has occurred: Error loading
> radar data unable to read header information"

Are you sure these are Level II files and not Level III?  I ask becuase
the file name has SDUS52 in it which is the product ID for Level III
data on the NOAAPORT feed.

> ..
>
> Also,
>
> - I checked for the possibility that the files were compressed but not marked
> as such, and didn't find any evidence for that (gzip, bunzip2, compress)
>
> - These files do read into the NCDC Data Viewer

It can read Level II and Level III data so if it's Level III that
would make sense.

> - I'm ultimately looking for a way to convert these files and save them into
> netcdf. (Actually, that's all I want to do.) If you know of an option to do
> that directly, we can go straight to that step!

Does the NCDC viewer have that option?

We are working on revamping the radar data reading which will
use the netCDF for Java library.  That means that we might be
able to write them out in a netCDF format in the future.  But
that won't be available for a while (maybe fall).

Don

Ticket ID: HXW-419999
Department: Support IDV