[IDV #YHS-517231]: Fw: Questions about developing applications for IDV

Hi Rob-

The 1-km base reflectivity composite was developed by Steve Chiswell using
GEMPAK.  I think GEMPAK would be your best option for generating the
composite at this point.  It would be faster and more efficient.

> I have been reading the IDV documentation, the developer documentation, and
> the Quick Start guides.
>
> Questions:
>
> I'm not sure how to get started coding the application.  From what I have
> read, it seems to be a process of modifying the IDV classes, and  modifying
> the resource files and property files.  Am I on the right track?
> Should I be using the Jython interface?
>
> There is a link in the developer documentation to an "example IDV
> implementation" ExampleIdv.  Following the link gives a 404 error.
> (http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/IDV/docs/javadoc/ucar/unidata/apps/example/package-summary.html)
> Is this still available, or has it been replaced by something else?

It's not available now, and is sort of out of date.

> Are there any papers, articles or books about writing applications for IDV?

Unfortunately, no.

> What development environment do you use? I currently have Eclipse.

I use vi/ant, the other developer uses emac/ant.  Some others have used
people using JBuilder and IntelliJ and Eclipse, so you should be okay.

> Thank you for your time.

I apologize for the lack of documentation, but I think you might
want to use GEMPAK to generate the composite.  If you have specific
display questions, those might be better suited to using the IDV
and please send them to address@hidden.  For GEMPAK
questions, please send them to address@hidden.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: YHS-517231