[IDV #OOT-328700]: IDV - IDV "Hang Up"

Hi Wayne-

> I've cut and pasted my reply in below in responding to your latest e-mail.
> I'm not sure why it didn't go the first time. If it doesn't come through
> this time, I'll attached it as a .doc file. Thanks again

Got them this time.

> Hi-
> >
> >> Institution: Jefferson Community College
> >> Package Version: InstallAnywhere Installers
> >> Operating System: Windows XP
> >> Hardware Information: Pentium 4
> >> Inquiry: Hi,
> >>
> >> I downloaded the IDV installer package (1.2.0) and when I go to run it, a
> >> small DOS window comes up for a moment or so and then the screen
> >> completely overfills and I can't seem to "click" out of anything. The
> >> entire screen freezes. I have a gig of RAM and plenty of harddrive space,
> >> but obviously I'm doing somthing wrong. Any ideas that might help would
> >> be appreciated. Thanks.
> >
> > When you say the screen completely overfills, do you mean the DOS window
> > ends up spitting out lots of text?
>
> Me : A small rectangular screen with black background  and white text
> appears at the top and looks it's going through a couple of DOS prompts, but
> it goes too fast to see the exact line except there is a C prompt in the
> message line. Then the screen fills completely with a very enlarged windows
> imag. Because its so enlarged enlarged only a portion of the standard desk
> top is shown and it appears to be at a lower resolution. Then there doesn't
> seem to be a way to click out of it or "drag" the edges inward to reduce the
> size. I can't even get to the shutdown icon. Also clicking what "standard"
> buttons are there doesn't seem to do much to help. Maybe I just got a bad
> downlaod and should try it agin.

Wow, I'm not sure what's happening here.  When you say a very enlarged windows
image, what do you mean by that?  Is it a Windows icon, or do you think it's
part of the IDV?  Is it Munch's Scream image?

> > What graphics card do you have in your system?  You might try updating the
> > video driver for your system.  You can generally get these from the
> > Windows Update facility.
> >
> Me: I have a G-Force 6800 which is a fairly good graphics card. As I
> mentioned I'm running Windows XP and have a Gig of ram and plently of
> harddrive sapce so there must be a conflict some where. Maybe I just messed
> up the original download. Do you ahve any other suggestions? Thanks again.

Did you try updating the driver?

> >> W. Smiley
> >>
> >> P.S.- I tried to follow the instruction in FAQ section regarding changing
> >> the image size, but I can't get the any on the "button" to work. I have
> >> to turn off the computer manually to get it up and running again.
> >> W. Smiley
> >
> > What resolution are you running your display at?
>
> ME: The screen resolution is 1280 x 1024 with 32 bit color

You can try a re-install.  Make sure you use the JVM that comes with the
installer, not one that you already have (when prompted).

> > Don Murray
> >

> > Ticket Details
> > Ticket ID: OOT-328700
> > Department: Support IDV