[IDV #TAT-593459]: accessing http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/idv/1_3b1/data/workshopCatalog.xml

Hi Martha-

> I am working with Randy on this issue.  We are using
> Firefox, which does read XML,  and I did get IDV to
> take the command argument "sitepath".
>
> However, when I specify the URL as you describe below,
> IDV hangs on the initial splash screen.  Using tcpdump
> I can see our client system trying to contact UNIDATA,
> but UNIDATA never responds.  I expect this is
> because of our company firewall.  Can you give us some
> info about what ports are being used by UNIDATA/IDV?

Hmm, this is a straight http connection at that point
so I wouldn't think there would be any firewall issues
with other ports.  In general, we use 112 for ADDE
transfers and some data catalogs are on 8080, but otherwise
it should just be port 80 for the HTTP connection.
Just to be sure, can you send the exact invocation you are
using that causes the IDV to hang?

Can you start the IDV without the -sitepath argument?
If so, then:

- from the Data->New Data Source menu, select "From a Catalog"

- in the catalog chooser, enter the catalog URL in the Catalogs
field:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/IDV/1_3b1/data/workshopCatalog.xml

and see if that comes up.

Don Murray