20060111: Resolved Issure with loading 3D Model Displays...

>From: "Jacob" <address@hidden>

Hi Jacob-

>    Hey, I changed the memory level from 512MB to 300MB like you suggested
>and it seems to be working alot better than before.  Thank you for that
>advice.

Glad the helped.

>I wanted to ask you a couple of quick questions, first about the
>Satellite displays.  I notice that when I display a satellite image, for
>example, of the GOES-East Visible, and I zoom into a region, like the
>Southeast US, The pixels are very blocky and the resolution is not that
>good.  However, when I looked at a screenshot of IDV, the one you have in
>the Users Guide, where you zoomed into south Florida, showing a Visible
>satellite image snapshot of Hurricane Charley in Florida, the resolution
>looks terrific.  How would I be able to get the resolution of a satellite
>image that good when I zoom that close into a region?

When you use the Image Data Chooser, you can set a center point and
a resolution.  The IDV has defaults for various products and for the
GOES-East Visible, it does a magnification (blow-down) of -2. for
the entire image.   For higher resolution, change the Line/Element
magnification to 1.  By default this will give you the entire
image, but you can subset by setting a center lat/lon point and
a smaller size.

The Hurricane Charley image used a different dataset that has
1km resolution (perhaps GINIEAST/1km Visible), but was subset
using the image chooser with a specific lat/lon, full resolution
and a particular size.  Note the RTIMAGES/GOES-East Visible image
has a maximum resolution of 4km, so you'll always get a blocky
image when you zoom in.

We are looking at updating the image displays to automatically
retrieve higher resolution data as you zoom in (like the background
image display does), but that is just on our wish at this point.

>    Also, is there a way to display contours of current weather conditions
>in IDV, I often check out the Metar Surface Data, but can you turn those
>observations into contours, like temperature, dewpoint, etc.?  If so, how
would I go about doing that?

We do not have an objective analysis capability in the IDV, but again
that is in our plans, but we have no target date or resources for
that task.

Don Murray