20060110: IDV - problem downloading dataset and requestion for glossary of abbreviations

>From: Laney Mills <address@hidden>

Hi Laney-

>Thanks for your note.  It's nice to know that I wasnt' the origin of
>this problem.
>
>I had assumed that if any problems occurred at this early stage of my
>learning, that I myself would be the source of the problem.

If you run into problems, please don't hesitate to contact
support or send a message to idvusers (after checking the FAQ
and Known Problems pages).  Not all errors are user induced.

For example, your other support inquiry about an error from the
satellite chooser turned out to be a serious bug deep in the
code.  You were the first to tickle it.  The problem was caused
by incorrect handling of the band information for sounder data.
We are working on testing the fix now, but still have some
questions about how we are handling the sounder data.  For now,
I would avoid using that.

>Have you heard the joke:  "If a tree falls in the forest and there's no
>man there to hear it, ........ is he still wrong!"

No, but I like it.

>Incidentally, I've gotten several really useful suggestions for how to
>get the IDV going for the students in my atmospheric physics class.

You are one of the first to use the idvusers list as it was meant
to be used and I'm glad you got responses.  Both Tom and Bill will
be good sources of information.

Also, if you have a bright, interested student, they can be a good
source of help.

>Laney
>College of Charleston

Don Murray