20060101: IDV - IDV data sources for atmospheric physics class based on Wallace and Hobbes

>From: "Laney Mills" <address@hidden>

Hi Laney-

>Institution: College of Charleston
>Package Version: 1.3b1
>Operating System: os.name:Windows XP; os.arch:x86; os.version:5.1;
>Hardware Information: java.vendor:Sun Microsystems Inc.; java.version:1.4.2_08
> ; java.home:E:\\Program Files\\IDV\\jre; j3d.version:1.3.2 fcs (build12); j3d
> .vendor:Sun Microsystems, Inc.; j3d.renderer:OpenGL;
>Inquiry: Hi,
>
>Since I saw the IDV demonstrated at the October meeting, I am trying to have m
>students use it in an upcoming atmospheric physcis class based on the standard
>textbook by Wallace and Hobbes.
>
>I have gotten the IDV to run, but when I look through the long list of data so
> urces, almost
>all the names of the data sources are unfamiliar.

What type of data are you looking for?  If you want gridded data, you
can use the Catalogs tab, then select Model Data and Unidata IDD Model
Data, it will give you access to realtime model data.  The ETA model
is now known as NAM (North American Model), AVN/MRF are now
GFS (Global Forecast System).  Are there datasets that in particular
that you have questions on?

>Also those requiring connection to a web site don't seem to work.

Does your campus have a firewall?  The models need access to port 8080
and Images/Radar need access to port 112.  Do you get an error message?

>In other cases, I do find my way to the web site, but once there I can't find
> the data sources
>for the IDV.
>
>Can you steer me to a source that would help in my circumstance?  The class st
> arts in
>just over a week, so I've got to be able to tell the students how to acquire a
> nd run the IDV
>to make current maps and pictures corresponding to those scattered throughtout
>Wallace and Hobbes.

Have you looked at the examples in the Getting Started section of
the User's Guide (use the Help->Getting Started menu)?  That has
some explanation of how to access particular datasets.

>Thanks a million.
>I have gotten far enought along to see the IDV is a wonderful program.

Don Murray