20060102: IDV - Installation and making IDV work

>From: "Erik Noble" <address@hidden>

Hi Erik-

>Institution: University of Colorado
>Package Version: IDV Beta
>Operating System: MAC OS Tiger
>Hardware Information: 12 inch powerbook G5 (2006- brand new)
>Inquiry: Dear Unidata,
>I am a graduate student here at the
>University of Colorado in the Evironmental Studies Department. Also, I ma a fo
> rmer NCAR SOARS protoge.
>
>I need to learn how to use IDV for data analyses of NCAR reanalysis data.
>
>I have spent all weekend trying to install IDV on my brand new Apple Powerbook
>  G5 laptop. I am not familiar with Java.
>
>I have already downloaded the MAC OS IDV installer as well as all of the Jar f
> iles. Yet, I am vry confused from what to do after this step. The readme file
> s in some of the Java files are confusing as well.
>
>Could Unidata please help me to be able to just start and use IDV?

When you install the IDV on a Mac using the Mac Installer, you
specify the folder where you install the IDV.

In that folder, there is a shell script called runIDV.  Unfortunately,
the Mac does not associate that file with the "sh" shell program, so
when you click on it, you will get an error message that says it
can't find the application to use with that file.

You can do one of two things:

1) Open a terminal window, change to the directory where you installed
the IDV and run

sh ./runIDV

or

2) Follow the instructions in the Known Problems document to create
a launcher for the desktop:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/IDV/docs/userguide/Bugs.html#faq1_cat5_17

Don Murray