20051228: IDV - problem with IDV and Tiger

Hi Joseph,

Institution: Arizona State University
Package Version: 1.3b1 (and previous version)
Operating System: Mac OS 10.4.3
Hardware Information: dual 1.8 GHz G5 1 GB DDR SDRAM
Inquiry: I had been running the version of IDV on the machine above with OS 10.3. I have recently upgraded to 10.4.3. When I upgraded the OS, I was informed that Java 1.31. and 1.4.2 Release 2 were available through apple so I installed those.  IDV launches but the window background  is grainy and flickers.  Is there some incompatibility with IDV and Mac OS 10.4. The Java 3D application is apparently not available from apple http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/java3dandjavaadvancedimagingupdate.html.

I tried upgrading to the latest version of IDV (1.3b1), thinking that may have been the problem .

We have had reports of problems with 10.4.3:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/getfile?file=/content/support/help/MailArchives/idv/msg00833.html

One of our users has followed up on this with Apple and received:

This is a follow up to Bug ID# 4330136.  After further investigation it has been determined that this is a known issue, which is currently being investigated by engineering. If you have any additional questions related to this bug or wish to check on status of the original issue, please send an email to <address@hidden>, referencing your Bug ID# 4330136.

Unfortunately we have not identified a work around for this problem. When (and if) we do we will send an announcement
to the idvusers mailing list.

-Jeff