20051201: Integrate M3IOVGGridConvention.java?

>From: "Todd Plessel" <address@hidden>

Hi Todd-

>We have IDV 1.3 source and would like to integrate
>M3IOVGGridConvention.java
>to handle our Models-3 NetCDF grid file conventions.
>In an earlier version this class was added to:
>IDV/metapps/ucar/nc2/dataset/conv/
>and the file Convention.java was modified to use
>M3IOVGGridConvention.java.
>In version 1.3 there is no nc2 subdirectory.
>How can it be integrated?

With the 1.2b2 release, we moved to using the Netcdf for Java
2.2 version and now distribute that as a library since we
(the IDV team) don't do the updates to that package.
I thought I included the change with conventions in
the release notes, but it doesn't look like it.  Sorry
for the confusion.

>I've attached a tar file containing the two source files
>that worked with an earlier version of IDV.
>Perhaps you could integrate them into version 1.3 before release?

I need to talk to the person who works most closely with
this (he's out sick this morning) and figure out the best
way to do this.  My concern about adding it to the nj22
code is that if you need to make any modifications in the
future, that would be problematic.  The nj22 package has
a way for users to statically add in their own conventions,
and this might be the better route.  That way, if you need
to make changes or want to add new conventions, it would
be easy for you to do.  But again, I need to discuss this
with others here.

Do you have a sample file that we could test with no matter
which way we decide to go?

Don