20051121: IDV track altitude in meters only; time values?

>From: Stuart Wier <address@hidden>

Hi Stu-

>Check out the IDV track data file at
>http://geon.unavco.org/unavco/NETCDF/raypath_P_wave_30deg_timed_p3.nc
>There are times for each point on the path but when displayed as a track-altit
> ude
>plot I don't see any times. The times do show up ok in the point data list.

Well, you're doing better than me.  The latest versions can't even
read that file as a track. :-(  As I mentioned before, we switched
from using VisAD to read the point and trajectory data to using
the nj22 Common Data Model work.  Unfortunately, this appears to
have broken some stuff.

However, if you want to see times with the track, then you'll need to
load the data in as a Point data plot as well.  Then you can use
the options on the track control to display the path in relation
to the animation steps.

>Also, the color table range values appear to be in meters even though the data
>  units are
>supplied as km. You can set the range for the bottom of the mantle at -2800000
>  meters
>but that may not be not obvious to the user who put in the data in km.

When I try this, it uses the generic Topography color table which
has a default range of 0 to 4000 m.  Since the default unit for
Alitude is meters, that's the range that is used.  You can change
the display unit to km through the DisplayControl's Edit menu

>I am using 1.2b2 so maybe this is ok in 1.2 or 1.3

Well, since we can't even read the file in those versions, I'd
say it's worse.  We'll try to get this fixed before the 1.3b1
release next week.

Don