20051116: Reconfiguring the IDV

Hi Dave-

David Fitzgerald wrote:

John Yorks and I are seeing a very strange thing after we ran the
"Basic" IDV.  Thjis is what we did:
We installed IDV 1.2 to our Linux accounts via InstallAnywhere. We ran
r`unIDV -sitepath http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/data/simple/
`
as per your message below and it worked fine.  The very weird thing is
that now whenever we run IDV without the -sitepath switch, we always get the Basic IDV version.

That's a feature not a bug!  The idea is that once you
set the sitepath, you don't have to do it again (i.e., it
will be sticky).  We'll probably change the default behavior
in the future since in this case, you don't have the
User Preferences dialog to undo it.

I even blew away my IDV directory,
re-downloaded version 1.2 and re-installed in a different directory than
the
 previous IDV, and I still get the Basic version when I execute runIDV.

All preferences are stores in <userhome>/.metapps so blowing
away the executable directory won't help.

Is there some hidden configuration file that was changed when we ran IDV
with the sitepath option, so it will always run with the switch?

The sitepath is stored in the main.xml file in the
user's path (usually <userhome>/.metapps/DefaultIdv,
but can be overridded with the -userpath command line
option or by using a different IDV subclass or by specifying
a property in idv.properties).

Normally, you can open the User Preferences dialog and
remove the sitepath from the list, but in this configuration
you don't have that.  In this case, just run:

runIDV -sitepath ""

to clear out the sitepath argument.

Don