20051102: Displaying nexrad II in IDV

>From: "Arthur A. Person" <address@hidden>

HI Art-

>A couple of questions regarding nexrad level II display via IDV:
>
>    1)  It looks like there are only 9 vertical levels available as
>        displayed via IDV using data from NCDC.  I'm a bit ignorant
>        about level II data...  is this normal or should there be more
>        levels?  It makes the RHI's look really choppy.

It will depend on the scanning mode (Volume Coverage Pattern (VCP)) of
the radar at the time.  9 levels would indicate VCP 21.  The pseudo-RHI
is meant to display what the radar actually sees.  With this pattern
(and most of them), you get gaps in the RHI because there is not
an overlap.  Think of it as a "teaching" moment for the students. ;-)

>    2)  Is there a way to print an IDV screen display (Linux environment)?

Use the View->Capture->Print... menu for the display window you want
to print.  That will print only the display, not the surrounding
GUI.  It will not change the background to white, so if you want
something like that, be sure you do that from the View->Color
menu before printing.

Don Murray