20051007: IDV - Display probs on a thinkpad a22p (ATI RAGE 128 mobility)

>From: "Harry Mangalam" <address@hidden>

Hi Harry-

>Institution: UC Irvine
>Package Version: 1.3a2
>Operating System: os.name:Linux; os.arch:i386; os.version:2.6.12-8-386;
>Hardware Information: java.vendor:Sun Microsystems Inc.; java.version:1.4.2_08
> ; java.home:/home/hjm/IDV_1.3A2/jre;
>Inquiry: On startup (using your distributed JRE) and on loading a default map,
>  I get no visible
>map in either the default window or on cntrol+R or on opening a new window
>(suggested by Jeff McW).  The interface widgets and

Are there any error messages in the terminal window about
a NullGraphicsConfiguration?

>Other machine details are unaccelerated X on an ATI RAGE 128 video card
>(glxgears barely moves), kubuntu breezy (Debian Sid), 512MB,

Without the accelerated X, I think running IDV would end up being
painful on this setup.

>Memory usage is indicated at 63/108MB (58%) but there is plenty of unused mem
> and
>other apps continue to run smoothly.

I would think it's a video setup issue.

What bit depth are you running (32, 24, 16)?  Can you run in 16
bit mode?

Don Murray