20051007: Clear Cache /Web Cam

>From: Brendon Hoch <address@hidden>

Hi Brendon-

>First off, wanted to let you know that I found the following link
>helpful in plotting some RWIS station site locations for an upcoming
>paper, you may wish to add this to the formal user documentation
>(advanced topics? how to plot your own datasets?)
>
>http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/support/help/MailArchives/idv/msg00595.html

Good suggestion, I'll add it to our TODO list.  Since we write the
documentation as well as the code, sometimes the docs get short shrift.
There's a lot of improvement to be done on that end.

>I attempted to take highlights from the three day Unidata IDV course I
>attended and cram them into two 1.75 hour classes for a course I'm
>teaching in met software apps.  Students have been tasked with
>developing a 5-10 minute map discussion (either live or archived data)
>using only IDV (no web images plagiarized from the internet).  So far,
>so good.  Everyone loves the web cam feature, though one problem we have
>is  that IDV does not clear the cache directory (C:\Documents and
>Settings\username\.metapps\DefaultIdv\datacache\ImageMovieControl) upon
>exit.  Our systems only allow profiles of 15 MB, so this fills things up
>and causes difficulties upon logout.  It would be nice if there was a
>setting to allow a user to automatically clear cache upon exit.  I could
>fix this through windows policies, but not everyone is savvy about that.

We've been thinking about how to do better management of the cache.
We'll probably add something to the preferences akin to what browsers
do - set the size of the cache and have a check box to clear no exit.
I think the clearning is time based (at least it used to be for Level II
decompressed files).

>Speaking of webcams, please add http://vortex.plymouth.edu/hugesize.jpg
>to your listing for the next release.  The image is updated every 5 minutes.

If you send use the lat/lon of the web cam, we'd be happy to add that
in.

>Thanks & have a good weekend,

Thanks for you great suggestions!

Don