20050912: IDV bundles

>From: "David Fitzgerald" <address@hidden>

Hi Dave-

>Hi,
>
>Our students created some IDV bundles for the LEAD project.  We want to
>burn these bundles and their associated data files to CD's so our
>teacher-partners can use them.  We are having a weird problem though.
>The xidv files are using the full pathname when referencing the data, as
>shown below:
>
><property name="Name">
>
><string><![CDATA[/export/home/faculty/dave/2004012900_eta211.nc]]></stri
>ng>
></property>
>
>Obviously we can't have this full path name on the CD as it won't exist
>on the teachers' machine.  We put the bundles and data files all in the
>same directory, so the students could easily use relative path names.
>However, when we try to change the path in the xidv file to be a
>realative path:

First, we don't advocate editing bundles, because you can really
shoot yourself in the foot if you change/delete the wrong thing.

><property name="Name">
>   <string><![CDATA[./2004012900_eta211.nc]]></string>
></property>
>
>we keep getting:
>"An error has occurred: Initializing after xml 2004012900_eta211.nc (No
>such file or directory) "  Even though the data is in the same directory
>as the bundle.

The file name is going to be relative to the process that starts the
IDV, not the bundle.  So, if you have the IDV on the CD, make sure
the script that runs it cd's to the directory where the data and
bundle are:

cd ../data
../IDV1_2/jre/java -Xmx512m -jar ../IDV1_2/idv.jar

or something like that.

>What are we doing wrong to get this error?
>
>Thanks for your help!

We'll think about ways to make this easier for the future.

Don Murray