20050823: Using Modified GRIB File in IDV Viewer 1.2

>From: "Turcotte Frederick N Ctr AMC/A67C" <address@hidden

Hi Rick-

>I attended your Aug 5-6 IDV Viewer class (excellent job!!) and =
>downloaded/installed the new V1.2 software.  As I mentioned in Boulder, =
>one of my DoD modeling and simulation customers is evaluating the IDV =
>Viewer as a potential data visualization tool.  I tried to load one of =
>the GRIB files we provide to them (see attached examples) but an error =
>occurred.  The file names equate to the date/time of the multi-parameter =
>data enclosed, in the form YYYYMMDDHHHHSS.grb
>=20
>I believe our GRIB files are a modified GRIB1 format.  I've attached the =
>text file that describes these GRIB files for your reference.

Thanks for the docs and sample files.  It should just be a matter
of creating new tables and telling the IDV to use those.  I'm passing
this info off to the person doing the GRIB work and will get back
to you wen I have a table.

>I'm trying to determine if WE can add this format to IDV Viewer's =
>capability through some additional configuration, or if that's work only =
>you guys can accomplish.  I'd appreciate your feedback.

Again, it should be a matter of:

- creating the tables in the appropriate format.  Right now, the
problem is that we don't support the subcenter 42 tables for
FNMOC style data.  A brief look shows that some of the parameters
and units are different from the standard FNMOC tables. (center 58).
- placing those tables and a pointer to them in the .metapps/DefaultIdv
directory

>IF it's something you guys would have to add, would you please consider =
>adding that capability?

We can add it to a future release, but you will not have to wait
for that once I get the tables done.

>I'm on the road this week, but my complete home office contact info is =
>shown below.
>=20
>Thanks for looking at this.

I'll get back to you with the table and instructions when I get
them.

Don Murray