20040701: IDV and Shape files

I'm thinking of shape files that contain other graphical objects such as
wind barbs that can be displayed on top of a map background or other
graphical or image display.

I'm not aware of any standard format for these types of shapes. Do you mean ESRI .shp shapefiles that contain polygons that form the symbols or is there another standard (e.g., Scalable Vector Graphics)
you are thinking of?

For weather symbols from observation data we do have a pretty rich station model editor.

-Jeff