20050531: Update and question on topography terrain

>From: Marco Rodriguez <address@hidden>

Hi Marco-

>       First I would like to know if there is any update regarding IDV 1.2b2.
>A while ago I wrote regarding a file I was able to visualize in 1.2b1
>but not in the most recent version (see 20050317: IDV sigma
>coordinates).

This will be fixed in the next release due out in June or July.

>       The second thing I want to ask is how can I plot a 2D field over a
>topography? I have a field that represents concentrations (say ozone)
>and that is all there is in my netcdf file. How would I drap this data
>into a high resolution topography (say 1 min DEM). I would prefer not to
>re-create a topograhy, but want a terrain map where to drap my data. Are
>there any plans to include a default that puts this topography for you?

You would load in the topography dataset and the gridded field
data sources.  Select the 2D field you want and for a display
type, select the 3D surface->Color-Shaded Plan View over Topography
display.  When prompted for the topography to use, select the
appropriate field.  The IDV supports netCDF gridded topography
, Vis5D and USGS DEM formats at present.  If you have other DEM data
that you want to use, you might have to write your own
DataSource class to read it in.

Don Murray