20050517: Syncronization problem IDV 1.2b2

>From: Rich Signell <address@hidden>

Hi Rich-

Sorry for the delay in responding.  We were in the midst of
a development phase where things were so broken, I couldn't
even test out your bundle in that version.

>I have winds from COAMPS and ocean currents from ROMS, and even though I have
>selected syncronized times, they are not syncronized in the animation.  First
>the ROMS images play, then the COAMPS.   This is a neat oceanographic
>application of IDV to show suspension of bottom sediment and circulation due t
>the strong Bora winds in the Adriatic Sea.
>
>http://cove.whoi.edu/~rsignell/cf/roms_sed_coamps.xidv

I'm not sure how you created this bundle, but there are a couple
of clues that I found that might explain what you are seeing.

In the bundle, there are times set for the various datasets.
Presumably, this was done by you using the Select Times...
popup menu on each datasource.  For the ROMS datasources, the
times are set to 12Z on Feb 10-20, 2003.  The COAMPS datasource
has times set for 12Z on December 18,19,20, 2002.

When you load in the bundle, you'll see that these are the dates
listed in the animation widget.  That would explaing the behavior
of seeing the COAMPS data and then the ROMS.

> I just tried loading the bundle and it worked, although my pink wind
> arrows are not being displayed at all now, instead of just being
> improperly syncronized.

In the bundle, the times for the COAMPS u and v components are different.
The U component has the default times for the dataset, but the
V component has times set for Feb 10-20, 2003.  Thus, when the
IDV tries to create the winds, it resamples the V times to the
U times and since there is no V data at the time of the U,
you end up with no winds.

Is it possible that you set the times when going through the
formula for one variable, but not the other?  I can't see how
this could happen programatically, but that's not to say that
there isn't some bug somewhere causing it.  If I recreate
the display just using the default times, I see the pink
winds first for the December days, then the ROMS data for
the February days.

Does this make any sense to you and perhaps explain what
happened?

Don Murray