20050420: IDV - point data plot hidden by "bakcground color"

Inquiry: Making special point data symbols in the geon idv java package, using extensions to the class MetSymbol, with method makeShapes, the shapes are 3D and appear, but the lower half is hidden by a little square of off-white color not specified in the makeShapes method which I wrote. I suspect it is the "backgorund color" mentioned in the display controls. It gets in the way of seeing the symbols' lower half. Since an earthquake focal mechanism is the lower half of a sphere, you can't see it at all in the usual overhead view.
How can I turn off this background item?

Hi Stu,
The background color is,by default, null and nothing will be displayed. See for example adding
a ShapeSymbol - you won't see anything in the background.

Do you only have one symbol in the station model? Perhaps there is a white shape symbol that you don't see in the station model editor. Send me your stationmodels.xml and I can look at it a bit.

-Jeff