20050415: Problems displaying level II radar data in IDV

>From: "HOETH, BRIAN R. (JSC-ZS) (LM)" <address@hidden>

Hi Brian-

>> Do you get a pop-up window with the button "Support Form"?  If so, can you
>fill out the form and send it in?
>I do NOT get a pop-up window with the button "Support Form".  However, I get
>some error messages that are output to the terminal window from which I
>typed "./runIDV" and I have cut and pasted the errors into a document which
>is attached to this email.  Note, this file is best viewed in WordPad as
>opposed to Notepad.

vi works fine. ;-)  FYI, In most cases this info is also written to the
console and you can view it from the Help->Show Console menu.  You
can cut and paste from there or save the entire contents to a file.

>>Is your home directory local or on an NFS drive?
>Local
>
>>Is there a $HOME/DefaultIdv/tmp directory?
>I believe you meant to ask if there is a $HOME/.metapps/DefaultIdv/tmp
>directory?

Yes, you are correct.

>Anyways, I have a $HOME/.metapps/DefaultIdv directory but there
>is no "tmp" subdirectory in it.

>>If so, are there any files in there?
>Like I said, I do not have the "tmp" subdirectory, but the following files
>reside in $HOME/.metapps/DefaultIdv
>history.xml
>idv.rbi
>main.xml

These should be there.

>>What are the permissions on this directory?
>$HOME/.metapps/DefaultIdv has permissions of 755 (i.e. rwxr-xr-x)
>
>>Is disk space a problem for this directory?
>Nope

So, the problem is that it's not writing (to) the tmp directory.
I'm not sure why though.

>>Sorry for the problems.
>No biggie, I just hope we can solve the problem!
>
>As FYI, I manually created the "tmp" subdirectory (with 755 permissions)
>under $HOME/.metapps/DefaultIdv and I still had no joy?

I think the IDV is trying to create the temporary files somewhere else,
probably in the directory where the files are located and you
probably don't have write permission there.

I need you to get some more output for me.  Please try
the following:

1) Save the attachement (defaultmenu.xml) in your $HOME/.metapps/DefaultIdv
directory.
2) Start the IDV.  You should now have a Test menu after the Help
menu.
3) From the Test menu, select the "Start Debug" menu.  This will
turn on debugging.
4) Try to load in one of the Level II files.
5) Use the Help->Show Console menu to bring up the console and write
the contents to a file.
6) Send me the debug output.  Somewhere in there, it should say
where it's trying to write the file.

You can get rid of the test menu by deleting or renaming
defaultmenu.xml

Thanks.

Don
#text/plain  Test Menu /home/support/attachments/defaultmenu.xml