20050401: Special backgrounds

Hi Kevin

I am doing a little work over Michigan today and observed a couple of things
related to the
special background images (shaded relief and topographic map). 1.) When I zoom in on Michigan and refresh the display, a portion of the background image is cut off at the top. The only way I can work around this is to use the "reproject to image" button on the control window of the background map. Will it always be necessary to reproject the image to work around this issue?
My guess is that this is the fault of the projection in the display. What we do, when fetching an image, is to calculate the lat/lon bounding box of the display window. The image is fetched and reprojected to the display projection. Perhaps we could expand the calculated display bounding box a bit so the image "slops" over the edge. Of course, if you are using the projection of the image there
isn't this problem. We'll look further at this.

2.) If I display level II data along with the background image, I can't move
the background image
to the back (bottom) of the display. Tried the vertical position and
transparency sliders, but no joy.

I am assuming the vertical position of the background image can be moved (at least in the latest b2 release). I think the problem is that the "bottom" vertical position is the same as where the radar is being displayed and you cannot go lower than that. Before this past release Don and I discussed being able to set the Z position of the plan views (e.g., 2d radar plan view) but we did not have
the time to get this in. This will be in the next release.

I promise no more emails this week ;-)

Well given that it is Friday afternoon that should be an easy promise to keep (unless you work weekends).

-Jeff