20050310: IDV - How to work with geotiff images?

>From: "Murray Brown" <address@hidden>

Hi Murray-

>Institution: IOC
>Package Version: 1.2 beta
>Operating System: Win 2000
>Hardware Information: plain vanilla dell
>Inquiry: The attached geotiff image seems fine to me, as we can easily use it
> in ESRI software.

The IDV has minimal support for GeoTIFFs at this point.  ESRI
has an army of programmers for their software, we have 2.
This has not been a high priority for us, but is on our list
of things to do.  That said, when you load this image into
ESRI software, do you have to supply a navigation file?
This does not appear to be a GeoTIFF (i.e. the appropriate
GeoTIFF tags are not present in the file).  If that's not the case,
let us know.

> When I try to load it into IDV I get the dreaded OMNI cont
> rol, and a message that the "cell has no data".  Hmmmm.

The "cell has no data" is a bug and will be fixed in next week's release.

>Can you get this image into IDV, and how do you do it?

If it is a rectillinear image, you can use the Navigated Image formula
to add in the required navigation info (lat/lon pos of the upper left
and lower right corners) when the fix above is applied.

Load in the image to the data selector.  From the Data Selector,
chooser the Formulas data source, and then select the
System->Navigated Image formula and select the display
type as a 3 Color (RGB) Image, then click Create Display.
Enter in the lat/lon corners to the dialog box that pops up
and click OK.  Then from the Field Selector that pops up,
select the image from the list.  That will show the image
in the Main display.

Thanks for finding this bug.

Don Murray