20050127: IDV - Need help plotting custom netCDF file

>From: John Meyers <address@hidden>

Hi John-

>Here is a link to the section of the LAPS instructions that deal with
>setting up the navigation.  If you can take a look, perhaps you can give
>me some suggestions as to a starting point that would be IDV friendly
>(the grid spacing should remain 10km and the grid should roughly cover
>New England).
>
>http://laps.fsl.noaa.gov/software/README_0-24-14.html#CHANGING%20THE%20HORIZON
> TAL%20DOMAIN

The problem is with our reader of the NUWG convention parameters.  A
fix will be in the next release, but that doesn't help you much right
now.

The problem is that the Nx and Ny parameters are declared as
shorts and we were expecting ints.  If you can edit the CDL
file that gets generated and change:

        short Nx(nav) ;
                Nx:long_name = "number of points along x-axis" ;
        short Ny(nav) ;
                Ny:long_name = "number of points along y-axis" ;

to:

        int Nx(nav) ;
                Nx:long_name = "number of points along x-axis" ;
        int Ny(nav) ;
                Ny:long_name = "number of points along y-axis" ;

that will allow you to read in the data.  However, there seems
to be more problems with this that I'll have to look into.
The file is generating a 3D grid when these are really 2D variables.
If there is some way you can tell LAPS to ingest these as 2D variables,
that might help.  In the mean time, I'll look at what's causing
weird displays (points or no contours).

Don