20050124: IDV - Need help plotting custom netCDF file

>From: "John Meyers" <address@hidden>

Hi John-

>Institution: Museum of Science, Boston MA
>Package Version: 1.2b1
>Operating System: Windows XP
>Hardware Information: Dual Xeon
>Inquiry: We are trying to incorportate mesonet and our local schoolnet surface
>  data into our prototype displays.  I am using FSL's LAPS suite to accomplish
>  this.  I've modified the output to include what I believe to be all the requ
> ired NWUG requirements.  Yet, when attempting to plot surface temperature (my
>  test variable) in the attached sample with IDV, I get the following error, f
> ollowed by a blank screen and the control window:

As Jeff noted the problem is caused by a bad projection.  We'll fix the
problem of throwing the error, but the real problem is with the navigation.
The expert on navigation is not here, but I'll send him a note and
get the scoop on what's causing problems.  I thought at first it was
the Lo1 and Lov variables being in positive degrees greater than 180,
but if I change them to be negative, it doesn't seem to change.

I'll get back to you when I hear more from our expert.

>visad.VisADException: Unable to covert vector to VisADGeometry array
>
>       at ucar.visad.display.ColorScale.makeShapes(ColorScale.java:438)
>
>       at ucar.visad.display.ColorScale.access$200(ColorScale.java:59)
>
>       at ucar.visad.display.ColorScale$1.controlChanged(ColorScale.java:329)
>
>       at visad.ScalarMap.notifyCtlListeners(ScalarMap.java:877)
>
>       at visad.ScalarMap.setControl(ScalarMap.java:460)
>
>       at visad.DisplayImpl.addMap(DisplayImpl.java:1953)
>
>       at visad.DisplayImpl.addMap(DisplayImpl.java:1846)
>
>       at ucar.visad.display.DisplayMaster.addNewScalarMaps(DisplayMaster.java
> :1313)
>
>       at ucar.visad.display.DisplayMaster.rebuildDisplay(DisplayMaster.java:4
> 86)
>
>       at ucar.visad.display.DisplayMaster.setActive(DisplayMaster.java:404)
>
>       at ucar.unidata.idv.ViewManager.setMasterActive(ViewManager.java:941)
>
>       at ucar.unidata.idv.DisplayInfo.activateDisplay(DisplayInfo.java:196)
>
>       at ucar.unidata.idv.control.DisplayControlImpl.activateDisplay(DisplayC
> ontrolImpl.java:3511)
>
>       at ucar.unidata.idv.control.DisplayControlImpl.insertDisplayables(Displ
> ayControlImpl.java:3491)
>
>       at ucar.unidata.idv.control.DisplayControlImpl.init(DisplayControlImpl.
> java:800)
>
>       at ucar.unidata.idv.ControlDescriptor.initControl(ControlDescriptor.jav
> a:739)
>
>       at ucar.unidata.idv.ControlDescriptor$1.run(ControlDescriptor.java:697)
>
>       at ucar.unidata.util.Misc$2.run(Misc.java:1718)

Don Murray