20041206: IDV - installation error

>From: "Mark Seefeldt" <address@hidden>

Hi Mark-

>Institution: University of Colorado
>Package Version: 1.1
>Operating System: Red Hat Enterprise WS 3
>Hardware Information: Intel Xeon 3.0 GHz, 2 GB RAM
>Inquiry: Hey!  When attempting to install IDV on a new linux workstation I rec
> eived the following error.
>
>I am using the binary from the Unidata Training Workshop CD-ROM.  I have also
> been able to successfully install the IDV on my Laptop using Fedora 3.  Any s
> uggestions would be appreciated.

How much space is in /tmp on this system compared to the FC3 system?
I'm not sure what the problem is, but, I found this reference about
temp space:

http://gamma.zerog.com/devnet_l/uT.jsp?page=kb/viewKB.jsp&itemID=181

Try setting the IATEMPDIR environment variable to some partition
with more disk space and see if that helps.  The installer should
clean up any files that it puts into that temp directory.

>Mark
>
>============================
>Installation/Error message:
>
>[seefeldm@foehn seefeldm]$ ./idv_1_1_linux_i586_installer.bin
>Preparing to install...
>tail: `-1' option is obsolete; use `-n 1'
>Try `tail --help' for more information.
>./idv_1_1_linux_i586_installer.bin: line 329: [: `)' expected, found -z
>WARNING! The amount of /tmp disk space required and/or available
>could not be determined.  The installation will be attempted anyway.
>Extracting the JRE from the installer archive...
>Unpacking the JRE...
>Extracting the installation resources from the installer archive...
Configuring the installer for this system's environment...

>Launching installer...
>
>./idv_1_1_linux_i586_installer.bin: line 1: 32673 Segmentation fault      "/tm
> p/install.dir.32580/Linux/resource/jre/bin/java" -Djava.compiler=NONE -Xmx503
> 31648 -Xms16777216 com.zerog.lax.LAX "/tmp/install.dir.32580/temp.lax" "/tmp/
> env.properties.32580"

Don Murray