20041022: IDV - simple difference

>From: "Bill Fingerhut" <address@hidden>

Hi Bill-

>Institution: lyndon state college
>Package Version: 1.1
>Operating System: os.name:Windows 2000; os.arch:x86; os.version:5.0;
>Hardware Information: java.vendor:Sun Microsystems Inc.; java.version:1.4.2_01
> ; java.home:C:\\Program Files\\IDV_1.1\\jre;
>Inquiry: An error has occurred:
>ControlDescriptor.Creating display
>org.python.core.PyException
>
>I want to display the difference between the current sea surface temperatures
> and the
>long term mean, using the IDV.

Sounds like a reasonable thing to do. ;-)

>So,  I went to http://www.cdc.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/Composites/comp.pl  and retriev
> ed and
>saved to disk a .nc file of mean SST values. I can read it and display the res
> ults in the
>IDV just fine. Then, I chose the Latest SST Global .... model data set in the
> data selector.
>Thus, I have the desired two data sources, each can be displayed with the IDV

So far so good.

>Next, I proceeded to use the formula, system -->  Simple difference a-b. I sel
> ected a
>and then b, and continued to create the display.

That's the right option.

>Unfortunately, an error occured (in part):

Bummer. ;-)

>  File "<string>", line 1, in ?
>java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 18048
>        at visad.FlatField.resample(FlatField.java:4557)
>        at visad.FlatField.binary(FlatField.java:1914)
>        at visad.FieldImpl.binary(FieldImpl.java:779)
>        at visad.DataImpl.binary(DataImpl.java:139)
>        at visad.DataImpl.subtract(DataImpl.java:192)
>        at visad.DataImpl.__sub__(DataImpl.java:1400)
>        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
>        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
>
>It would be nice if thef IDV could work with these two different datasets. ???

I just fixed a similar problem.  Could you try the following?

1) get the idv.jar at ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/idv/untested
(note this is untested/unsupported code).

2) back up the existing idv.jar in your IDV_1.1 directory
(assuming you are using the InstallAnywhere version) and put
this new one in it's place.

3) Try your calculation again and see if it works.  If so, the
fix will be in the next release.  If not, let me know.

Don