20040929: IDV opening network directory

>From: "Fingerhut, William A" <address@hidden>

Hi Bill-

>Mark still has doubts. He asked me to copy .metapps from the drive
>mapped
>to a Linux pc to a drive mapped to a Windows pc. Then, using the IDV
>file navigator, file --> open, try to view the network drive .metapps
>on the Windows pc -- .metapps is not listed. So, .metapps is listed on
>the
>local drive (Windows pc), and not listed on 2 network drives (one Linux
>and one Windows). Does this make sense to you ?

It's still hidden.  If you look at it with the windows explorer,
you'll see that it has a more transparent icon.  If you right
click on it and select "Properties", you'll see that the the
Hidden attribute is checked.  If you uncheck that, then
try to look for it in the IDV File Selector (use the Update button
if you are already looking at the directory), you'll see it's there.

>I am not suggesting a button to show hidden files. In fact, I don't
>think you should do this. One exception might be to show .metapps ?

If it's hidden, it's hidden.  We either show all, or none.

>I could, and would. But someone else, like a student, might not know how
>to access a hidden directory. My concern is for others, not me.

In the next release (1.2b1), you can export a bundle by right clicking on
it.  We will look at exporting a set of bundles as a bundles.xml
file which you could import.  The problem will still be that they
will have to be publicly accessible by the same path that is pointing
to them when you do the save.

>This reminds me that we have 2 ways to save bundles: save as and save
>favorites. The only difference I see is that the former allows the user
>to specify the directory. I have not been real comfortable with this;
>the redundancy kind of bothers me.

We use the Web Browser paradigm.  If you save a bookmark, it is for
your use, not global.  You can save a link to a file which could be public.
The first scenario is akin to our Favorite Bundles.  The second is
akin to a regular bundle.  (Note also that you bookmarks are stored
in a hidden directory on windows usually, that is not publicly
accessible).

>If there were just one save favorites
>which allowed the user to specify the directory I would be happier.

In this case, if you want to share bundles, don't use the favorite
paradigm, use the save as.  You can easily save a Favorite, tweak
it to what you want, resave it as a Favorite, but also save it
in a public location once it's loaded in.  The missing piece is
to export a group of bundles, defined in an bundles.xml.

>Or, dare I suggest a third option: copy favorite to. This would enable
>the
>less savy student move a bundle to an accessible directory.

Of course you could do this with windows explorer. ;-)
The export facility in the next release does this somewhat.  Again,
what's missing is how to make a group of bundles appear in a
menu to a different user.

>I have several options and do not have a problem.
>
>I would like to see bundle sharing made easier for students and less
>linux savy users.

Okay.  Thanks for the suggestions.  Sounds like a topic for the
new Steering Committee.

Don Murray