Re: topography and map, attn: Don Murray

Nate:

Here's one way:

1) make the topography. First, get the 'latest' ETA model run and under the 2D grids, display the "Geopotential height at the surface of the earth" as "3D Surface -> Toopography". If you have another source for topographic data you can use it, as well (both in this step and in #2)

2) make the map outlines in 3D.
        a) Add a data source via "URL" of type=VisAD form and the URL of:
            http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/~tomw/idv/outlsupu
b) back in the 'data selector', in the Fields panel, open up "System" and choose "3D Map". For the Display, pick "Topography". c) click "Create Display". You'll get a dialog that pops up asking for what the "Map Data" and "Topography" are. Choose the data you just imported ("Set(lat,lon)") for the Map, and the same ETA heights for the Topography.=
        d) click OK...and wa-la...

tom

NATHAN LOUIS UHLENBROCK wrote:

Hi Don,
Tom recently sent me a bundle of a fantastic 3D topography map of North America
that he got from you (I think).  I am writing to see if you know of any way to
make the map layer (the one that shows state boundaries, etc) lay directly on
top of the 3D topography so that the boundaries follow the heights.  I would
like to do this so that when I rotate the view, the state boundaries appear to
be in the correct spot instead of floating above the topography.  Also, any
word from the NCDC folks about the units issues with NOMADS?  Thanks for the
help!
Cheers,
Nate

--